Friday, 6 July 2007

Arts Award

Last Tuesday (yes I've been lazy again)

I turned up to drama club today expecting to be able to practise 'Rockaby' with Gracie. I bought in the rocking chair that I will be using, and it has been put in the garage until it is needed for the performance/dress rehearsal. However, Gracie wasn't at drama so instead I helped Dan practise his plays (he is doing part of Endgame) because his partner wasn't there. I played the part of the servant 'Clov', as Dan is going to be performing as 'Hamm', the blind master. I enjoyed rehearsing with Dan, because I hadn't really seen him rehearsing before so it was good to look at the play.
We then all watched Becky, Sam and Ophelia perform 'Mother Figure' which is about two bickering neighbours going to visit the Mother who lives next door. She treats them like children, which causes them to bicker and then make-up in a very childlike way (basically, they become more childlike as the play progresses). It had some very funny moments, and they will be performing it to the public next wednesday (out Beckett pieces are on Thursday). I am starting to feel quite nervous, because we can't really practise until we have the CD.


This Tuesday
Gracie was at the rehearsal today, but we still don't have the CD so we read through each other's lines whilst the other practised rocking in time (quite difficult considering the rocking chair is still in the garage). We found that it wasn't too difficult to get the timing right, but it was more difficult not being able to blink. I need to practise just sitting and not blinking, and also making sure that I am completely focused on one point, because I found that I ot distracted quite a bit. The main problem seems to be that when I deliberately try not to blink, I always seem to end up needing to blink more. I have decided that I won't wear my glasses or my contact lenses during the performance, as doing so enables me to unfocus my eyes, so I dont need to blink as much. And I am allowed to blink when I am rocking backwards (as my face is only in the light when I rock forwards).
I also bought in my costume, so that Gracie has an idea of what the dress needs to look like. Its black velvet and its got a high lacy neck and these glittery bead things. I'm also going to put sequins on it, as that is what is stated on the costume description.

No comments: