Thursday, 26 July 2007

Beckett Part Two

Sorry, I'm evil for leaving it so long!

Part two of the ArtsAward update.

The main thing I was scared about was blinking.

The people doing 'Play' were also very nervous, because one thing could disrupt their entire performance, as rhythm is very important. I was then suddenly struck by another fear- falling asleep due to the rocking! And also falling out of the chair, or my feet falling off the footrest (not quite sure how that would happen).

When 'Happy Days' was being performed by Ophelia, Gracie put more powder on my face and hair and then during 'Play' we just waited on the other side of the door. We couldn't really hear what was going on, and we couldn't see anything so I had no idea if it was all going ok.

Then it was time for me and Gracie to go on stage. Even though it would be just me performing first, Gracie deided to stand in the shadows behind me to enable a quicker and smoother change-over half way through- so it could almost be incorprated into the play.

It was going very well, I did the pause, said 'More' in a good voice and (I think) managed to do the entire first part rocking in time without blinking. When the recording got to 'Time She Stopped' I stopped the rocking chair and waited my pause before saying 'More'. But then part one of the recording started playing again, rather than part two. I was quite thrown off, but managed to continue (admittedly, the rocking motion is the same for all the parts) but I think I may have said 'Time she Stopped' in the wrong place by accident, and I blinked once or twice so it wasn't very good at all.

Then it got to the time when I was supposed to change places with Gracie. I realised that I had to make a choice; stay on longer for part two, or change and let the play continue from part three. I chose the latter, because otherwise the performance would have gone on for a long time, and also because I thought I heard someone say the word 'Change' from behind me (where all the technical stuff was taking place). Looking back, I suppose the person who said 'change' could have equally been saying 'don't change' but at the time I just acted on impulse. So then I stood in the shadows behind the rocking chair for ten minutes whilst Gracie did her part, then we left the stage and went back into room 105.

I was very disappointed that it had gone wrong because I had been convinced before the performance that I'd mess up and I did end up saying 'Time she stopped' in the wrong place. I was trying not to cry but of course I ended up crying (as usual) when Dan gave me a hug. I was told that the technical error wouldn't be marked against me as it wasn't within my control, and as long as they had the recording of my voice and the recording of me in the rocking chair then they would assess me on those, but it still felt like a mistake on my behalf.

Looking back, I'm still quite disappointed I didn't do as well as I could have done, but there's not much I can do about it now and at least I got to wear a cool costume (we did look scary)!

1 comment:

FancyHat said...

I'm sorry to hear things didn't go exactly as you'd hoped. It's a bitch, but technical problems do happen. I had a show just this past weekend and 30 minutes before it was scheduled to start the PA system died. I tried absolutely everything to get it up and running, but it was fried from the inside out. We were about thirty seconds from calling the show off all together when one of the other performers turned up and had just happened to bring a vocal amp that we could get by with.

Anyway, it sounds like you kept your cool pretty well, which is the most important part. A huge part of being a performer in any capacity is being able to roll with the punches when things fuck up. Follow your instincts and you'll usually come out just fine.